Jun 11, 2008

Guitar Trick No. 1 - The Natural Harmonic Bend

I'm going to show you something that I've been doing for years and as most guitar tricks come about, I just stumbled upon it.

I'm going to show you how to do a natural harmonic bend. Most people would believe this to be impossible, but it is far from. This is especially nice for guitarists like myself, who play on a guitar that doesn't have a whammy bar.

I'm not a big fan of the whammy bar so I added this little touch to my arsenal. I'm now going to share it with you, but I'd like to mention something first.

Its all about the little things. Playing fast is exciting and truly amazing, but it can also be very boring if used in the wrong way. What makes things tick are the little nuances. The little accents and touches that you add to your playing.

These come about by experimenting, or many times just by stumbling upon.

Let me give you a little insight first and then you can watch the video below, where I'll explain how to do this.

The truth is, when you press down on a string with your finger, your finger isn't touching it at all. In fact, if you are sitting in a chair reading this right now, you're not even touching that chair. There is a minute layer of space that resides between anything. That layer is pure energy. This is why it is possible to bend a harmonic. If this weren't true then you would cancel out the harmonic immediately.

Simply put, when you bend a harmonic, you are really arcing the energy - you're manipulating it.

If you are interested in the principle that I defined above, I highly recommend that you do a little investigating into the world of Quantum Physics. Quantum Physics is pretty easy to grasp by the way, so don't be intimidated by it.

Onwards and upwards.



 
Guitar Goodies:::: Guitar Sites ::::Site Map:::: Privacy