May 26, 2008

Savoy Brown style Blues

Savoy Brown Style Blues



Blues guitar backing track tab at the bottom.

When it comes to the Blues, there are those who love it and there are those who treat it as oxygen. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I wouldn't be able to live without it, but I certainly have played a lot of Blues and still use a lot of its important lessons in my playing today.

When I was a kid, my favorite blues group was a band called Savoy Brown, who are still active today. Their best music came out of the late 60's/early 70's and they had a sound that could not be duplicated.

This was partly because the front man, Kim Simmonds was a bit of a child, Blues prodigy and had an extremely unique style in an overly saturated genre of music.

At times their songs were really heavy, with a driving rhythm, classic distortion and bayou style piano work.

At other times their music was smooth, with strong undertones of Jazz. I really applaud Simmons for choosing to use different chord structures that you wouldn't normally hear in the Blues.

If I could recommend two songs they would be "She's got a ring in his nose and a ring on her hand" and "Stay while the night is young".

Try and find these if you can and attempt to locate the studio versions, since the sound has such a mood.

In the mean time, I'm going to give you a glimpse into this smooth, carefree sound. Below is not an actual Savoy Brown song. If I get any requests to transcribe one, I will most certainly do that, but I instead put together something similar.

Now, the chords and notes are of course accurate but I am not so sure that the timings come across as well as they should. So, I'm in the process of working on a video that will show you what it should sound like.

In an upcoming post I will show you the lead section with an accompanying video. Then a video that shows it all together with some parts improvised. Simmons improvised most of his solos, and I want to show you how to do this. It is very simple. It is simply a matter of you trying out different arrangements with the lead that I show you, but that's next time! so, work on this and have a blast!

Blues guitar backing track



Click To Enlarge

 
Guitar Goodies:::: Guitar Sites ::::Site Map:::: Privacy